Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Assuming the Position

Big Apple Soccer is reporting that the sale of the MetroStars is complete. The MLS Board of Governors will meet today in New York to end the 10-year run of the team and hand the franchise's keys over to Red Bull and former NY Cosmo, ChampionsWorld hanger-on, and on-screen mumbler Giorgio Chinaglia. As reported in today's New York Times, Chinaglia clearly is taking on his new assignment without a shred of humility. Chinaglia told Jack Bell:

"...I'm the only person who can change things in New York and I mean change everything — the front office, the coach and the team. And I can do it fast."

My heart goes out to Alexi Lalas, Mo Johnston, VP Ticket Sales Steve Powell, Ticket Rep Ben Parry, and the Metros players that may soon be out of a job. Perhaps in time this move will be good for the league. Today, however, I feel like I've been kicked in the stomach. I've convinced my company to purchase a private party for 100 clients at the Stadium Club for the Metros' home opener on April 8th. I have no idea what to expect when we get there. All hail the almighty dollar.

UPDATE: Logan's Revenge says that the deal hinges on some key sticking points, and still may not come to fruition.

No comments: